Start here – Get involved in Blocktober:

Start here: Overview & How to take part

Get involved in Blocktober! Blocktober is a humble but determined Cape Town-based movement of people against GBV, started in 2020. Steps fo...

Is this how it should be? (7 October 2026)

Is this how it should be? Five days of Camino Blocktober

Written by Lala Steyn 



I’m writing this after having experienced:

Five days of continuous walking close to 100km on the Camino Primitivo — the oldest of the ancient pilgrimage routes across Spain to the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela —  following in the footsteps of pilgrims since the 9th century. 

Foraging for food - literally through collecting walnuts, chestnuts and wild apples, and also "foraging" intellectually when trying to navigate the Spanish supermarchado (supermarkets) and menus. 

Moments of generosity such as when sheltering from rain, an elderly woman invited me in to take free apples and walnuts, or when the waiter at an albergue told me the best places to stop on the route for “sin gluten” (gluten-free) food.

Quietness when walking totally alone for kilometres (I am on this path with my husband Dawie and many other pilgrims). 

Walking at night through dark streets to drink a local Sidra (cider) alone.

Being passed by young strong women walking by themselves, who greet me with a cheerful “Buen Camino” ("Have a good Camino").

I have no fear. 

I feel safe.

I feel free. 

I feel blessed.

Is this how it is meant to be for women everywhere? For children? For all? 

I know I’m in a bubble.

I know there is gender based violence in Spain, maybe even in some of the homes I have passed. 

BUT WHY can we not make our world such, where we as women can walk freely? Yes, surely we can “be the change, that we want to see in the world.”









Join Blocktober every day in October, in solidarity with survivors of Gender Based Violence, by finding out more about our activities here and signing up to swim, run, walk or cycle here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts